The Danish Transport Authority is an agency within the Danish Ministry of Transport.
The purview of the Danish Transport Authority includes the following functions:
- The Danish Government's railway authority, responsible for regulation, planning, safety and transport co-ordination nationally and internationally.
- Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Isles.
- Road traffic safety and environmental regulation for heavy and light vehicles and regulation of vehicle type approval and inspection.
- Regulation, approval and oversight regarding market access for railway, aviation and postal services.
- International relations regarding transport markets including representation in forums within the European Union, intergovernmental organizations and the coordination of EU-matters and –hearings.
- Adviser to the Ministry of Transport on matters relating to transport policy and the strategic development of the transport sector.
- Licensing and transport-related training of personnel in the areas of railway, road and aviation.
- Collection of data and publishing statistical information regarding railway safety, punctuality, etc.
- Enforcement of Danish legislation regarding commercial road transport.
- Promotion of environmentally-friendly road transport.
As Danish is the working language of the Danish Transport Authority, the English language version of this website is not a direct translation of the Danish version. The text has been abridged to provide a brief and accurate outline of the tasks and responsibilities vested in the Danish Transport Authority.